Wehrsport-Abzeichen der 2.Marine-Brigade Ehrhardt was instituted in 1919 by the command authorities of that Volunteer Corps and was presented to its members who passed successfully series of military sports examinations that were held twice, in 1919 and 1920.
The Freikorps was raised by the Korvettenkapitän Hermann Ehrhardt (29.11.1881-27.09.1971) on February 17, 1919 as “2.Marinebrigade Wilhelmshaven” from the former Kaiserliche Marine personnel. Initial appeal to the population of Wilhelmshaven to enroll into a volunteer unit to be (Aufruf zur Bildung einer Regierungstruppe in Wilhelmshaven) was published on February 13, 1919 in the local newspaper “Die Republik”. That appeal signed by the commander of the North Sea Naval base (Marinestation der Nordsee) Vice-admiral Andreas Michelsen (19.02.1869-08.04.1932) proclaimed: “I’ve got an order of the state government to raise government troops in Wilhelmshaven subordinated to the state government for the purpose of east borders protection” (“Die Reichsregierung hat mir den Befehl erteilt, in Wilhelmshaven eine Regierungstruppe zu bilden, die der Regierung direkt unterstehend, dieser für den Grenzschutz Ost zur Verfügung steht”). Further appeals widened future military use of the required unit, mentioning “suppression of mutinies on the domestic scene”.
2.Marinebrigade Wilhelmshaven commanded by Hermann Ehrhardt defeated revolutionary mutinies in various cities of Germany, e.g. Berlin, Brunswick, Munich and fought Polish insurgent in Upper Silesia. Come August 1919, Freikorps was renamed “2.Marine-Brigade Ehrhardt” (or “2.Marinebrigade Ehrhardt”). That Volunteer Corps was disbanded in Munster on April 20, 1920 following failure of the Kapp Putsch on March 17-20, 1920. After disbandment of the Freikorps some of its members were transferred to Reichsmarine, and the rest continued their nationalist or even terrorist activities under different covers such as “Bund ehemaliger Ehrhardt-Offiziere”, “Organisation Consul”, “Bund Wiking” and “Sportverein Olympia”.
Having completed that necessary historical digression let’s return to the main subject of an article. Wehrsport-Abzeichen der 2.Marine-Brigade Ehrhardt had a shape of a wide round laurel wreath with leaves pointing upwards on its right side and vice versa on the left one. Large capital Gothic letter “E” standing for “Ehrhardt” was superimposed on the wreath, while the latter itself was superimposed on a stylized ribbon with polished edges and pebbled surface bearing an inscription in capital Gothic letters “Wehrsport”. A reverse of the Military Sports Badge of 2 Marine-Brigade Ehrhardt had strong counter-relief, or mirror reverse.
Wehrsport-Abzeichen der 2.Marine-Brigade Ehrhardt was manufactured by the Berlin-based company “Erste Berliner Abzeichen-und Fahnenfabrik Heinrich Timm”, that also minted Verdienstabzeichen of that Freikorps.
It was worn at the lower left part of the tunic and was attached with a narrow vertical pin and catching hook soldered to its reverse. The badge measuring 45x40 mm and weighing 9,3 g was made of Buntmetall, a non-ferrous alloy of yellow colour, e.g. brass or bronze.
Wehrsport-Abzeichen der 2.Marine-Brigade Ehrhardt was presented in 1919-1920. According to a Decree published on November 14, 1935 (Verordnung zur Ausführung des Gesetzes über Titel, Orden und Ehrenzeichen vom 14.November 1935) that put into effect a Supplement to the Law regarding state awards of April 07, 1933, wearing of Military Sports Badge of 2 Marine-Brigade Ehrhardt was prohibited.