Non-portable medal was minted in 1897 to commemorate proclamation of Count Ernst Kasimir Friedrich Karl Eberhard Graf zur Lippe-Biesterfeld (09.06.1842-26.09.1904) as regent of the Principality of Lippe on June 22, 1897 by the arbitration tribunal.
The reigning prince of Lippe, Günther Friedrich Woldemar Fürst zur Lippe (18.04.1824-20.03.1895), died childless on March 20, 1895, but his heir, younger brother Karl Alexander Fürst zur Lippe (16.01.1831-13.01.1905), was incapable of ruling on account of an incurable hereditary mental illness. So a regency had to be established. However, no one knew that Prince Woldemar had concluded a secret agreement with Adolf Wilhelm Viktor zu Schaumburg-Lippe (20.07.1859-09.07.1916) which stipulated that the latter should succeed him. After Prince Woldemar passed away, it was Adolf Wilhelm Viktor zu Schaumburg-Lippe who assumed regency, while the much more closely related Lippe-Biesterfeld line was passed over and protested. The state parliament also lodged a protest and caused the establishment of an arbitration tribunal. The decision of the arbitration court under King Albert of Saxony proclaimed Count Ernst zur Lippe-Biesterfeld as regent of the Principality of Lippe on June 22, 1897. Prince Adolf, brother-in-law to the German Emperor Wilhelm II, then resigned the regency and was replaced by Count Ernst. He remained as such until his death in Schloss Lopshorn on September 26, 1904. His son Leopold Julius Bernhard Adalbert Otto Karl Gustav (30.05.1871-30.12.1949) succeeded him as head of the Lippe-Biesterfeld line and regent, before becoming the reigning Prince of Lippe four months later on the death of Prince Alexander.
Obverse of medal with raised border showed bust of the Count Ernst facing right circumscribed “Count Ernst, Regent of the Principality of Lippe” (“Graf Ernst Regent des Fürstenthums Lippe”) in capital letters. Six-point star flanked by two letters, “R” and “D” (standing for initials of the manufacturer Richard Diller) was minted at the bottom of the obverse.
Reverse of medal with raised border bore inscription “Presided over by His Majesty the King of Saxony Albert Appointed Successor to the Throne of the Principality of Lippe” (“Unter d. Vorsitze S.M. des Königs Albert Sachs. zur Regierungsnachfolge in dem Fürstenthume Lippe Berufen.”) in nine horizontal lines in capital letters. Two semicircular inscriptions, both in capital letters, were placed above: “According to the Arbitration Tribunal” (“Durch Schiedsgericht”) and below: “Dresden June 22, 1897” (“Dresden 22.Juni 1897.”).
Circular medal measuring 33,35 mm in diameter and weighing 18,21 g was manufactured of silver at the Dresden-based factory of Richard Diller (Richard Diller Münzanstalt Dresden).