Instituted on January 05, 1916 by the King of Württemberg Wilhelm II and named after his wife, the Queen consort of Württemberg Charlotte (10.10.1864-16.07.1946), born Princess of Schaumburg-Lippe. Her Majesty was famous for her involvement in activities of various social and charitable organizations as well as the Red Cross.
Decoration was awarded to Württemberg non-combatants regardless of their rank and social status for particular merits either at battlefield or home front in the care of wounded and sick or in a general area of war-related care provision.
Charlottenkreuz measuring 40x40 mm had a shape of equilateral cross bottony with a central
Charlotte Cross was presented in a rectangular wine red case with embossed Württemberg coat of arms in silver colour.
Charlottenkreuz was worn on the left breast suspended from a yellow silk ribbon with wide and narrow black stripes at both edges. After demise of its holder decoration remained with his family as a token of remembrance.
Charlotte Cross was awarded in 1916-1918 until abolishment of monarchy.