Eastern Front Cross

Eastern Front Cross was instituted by one of the myriad veterans associations that mushroomed in the Weimar Republic. Exactly that one in question was based in Saxony and carried quite intricate name: Honorary Union of the Saxon World War Participants, Registered Association Comradeship of the German East and West Front Fighters (Ehrenbund Sächsischer Weltkriegteilnehmer e.V. [eingetragener Verein] Kameradschaftsbund Deutscher Ost- und Westfrontkämpfer). As it can easily be seen from the full name founders of that union stressed that an association had a status of a legally registered noncommercial organization.

The badge had a shape of an eight-pointed Maltese cross with a round medallion superimposed on its centre. Two gilt crossed swords were placed beneath.

An obverse of the cross is green enameled leaving wide gilt edge. Left and right arms of the cross bear the years of the Great War – “1914” and “1918” respectively executed in gilt numerals.

Central round medallion with raised edges was made of silver colored metal with pebbled surface. It is circumscribed “For the Honor of Germany in the East”(“Für Deutschlands Ehre im Osten”) in capital letters separated by a symbol of tilde at the bottom. German steel helmet facing right was placed over an oak branch.  

A reverse carried maker’s mark “Fleck & Sohn, Hamburg 3, Ges.Gesch” running in three rows.

Eastern Front Cross was worn on an orange ribbon with a central thin black stripe, two wide black stripes closer to edges and two thin green stripes adjoining them from within.

Like all the other badges produced during the Weimar era Eastern Front Cross was privately purchased by veterans upon presentation of the colorful award document issued by the above mentioned Saxon association. Those pretending to be eligible for the badge had to prove their participation in the battles at the Eastern front by producing records in their military documents.

Eastern Front Cross was 45x45 mm. It was made of gilt and silver colored non-ferrous metal and had green enamel finish.

The badge was distributed in 1933-1934 but soon after it was replaced by the Cross of Honor officially instituted on July 13, 1934 and its open wear was prohibited.

Approximately 3,000 badges were issued.

Eastern Front Cross 01Eastern Front Cross 02