“75 Years of Khasan Battles” badges were manufactured according to request of the Far Eastern Primorsky Krai (Maritime Province) administration. They were awarded to descendants of the Soviet servicemen who fought the Battle of Lake Khasan (July 29 – August 11, 1938), or, as stated in award documents, “descendants worthy of memory of their ancestors’ heroic deeds, courage and glory”.
Two types of the badge were manufactured: commemorative badges for official decorations and commercial pins for private purchase. Both were designed by Konstantin Lykov, producing company staff.
Design of the badge in question was based on that of the “Participant of Khasan Battles” breast badge instituted on June 05, 1939 by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. Thus, it had a shape of a vertical oval with its lower part cut flat and embroidered with gilt oak leaves on the left and laurel leaves on the right. Red Army soldier in helmet holding rifle with fixed bayonet in his left hand and stick grenade in raised right hand was situated standing on the green grass in the centre of the badge against light blue sky. Red banner with five-point gilt star was placed behind the soldier, while anniversary date “75” in red colour with gilt outline – on his left. Inscription in capital letters “Khasan” (“Хасан”) was situated at the bottom of the composition. The lower part of the badge was framed with the red ribbon bearing two dates: “1938-2013”.
The badge with flat reverse was attached to civilian attire with horizontal pin soldered to its backside. “75 Years of Khasan Battles” commemorative jubilee badge measuring 38 mm in height was manufactured of heavyweight yellow colored metal by a private Vladivostok-based company headed by Elena German.
Commemorative badge was awarded in a lightweight presentation case with transparent cover and flocking pad, dark red in colour. Unfolded award document was placed inside. Family name, name and patronymic name as well as date of decoration were filled in hand.
The first forty badges were presented on August 05, 2013 to prominent members of the local war veterans’ council and Ukrainian invitees, descendants of Khasan battles participants, by Vladimir Miklushevsky, governor of the Maritime Province.
A pin also had a shape of a vertical oval with its lower part cut flat and embroidered with gilt oak leaves on the left and laurel leaves on the right. However, it bore anniversary date “75” in red colour with gilt outline in its very centre against green background. Upper part of the pin had red banner with five-point gilt star. Inscription in capital letters “Khasan” (“Хасан”) was situated at the bottom of the composition. The lower part of the badge was framed with the red ribbon bearing two dates: “1938-2013”.
Flatback pin had considerably reduced size in comparison with the badge and measured 17x23 mm. It was manufactured of heavyweight yellow colored metal and was attached to civilian attire with a butterfly clasp.
That commercial jubilee pin was manufactured in 2013 by the Vladivostok-based company “Ideografika” that is locally known for production of various metal pins, pendants, tokens and charms.
The central element of the badge represented an image of the first Soviet-designed T-18 light tank, aka MS-1 (“First Small Support Vehicle”), based on the Renault FT tank and produced from 1928 to 1931. Tank with its turret pointing Japan was mounted on a pedestal bearing an inscription “Khasan” (“Хасан”) in capital letters. Rectangular plate inscribed “6 VIII – 1938” was situated at the bottom, and stood for the date of the radical turn in battles. Tetrahedral boundary pillar with coat of arms of the USSR and inscription “75 Years” (“75 лет”) running in two lines was placed in the background.
Flat reverse of the pin bore three hallmarks: manufacturer's logo; “Ideografika.ru” inscription running in semi-circle around the screw; horizontal inscription “Ideografika Vladivostok” (“Идеографика Владивосток”).
Pin measuring 24x35 mm was die-stamped of brass and had oxidized surface. Screw soldered to the center of its reverse and nut were used as an attachment method.
Totally 50 pieces were manufactured with five pins bearing “Specimen” (“Образец”) additional hallmark at the lower part of the reverse.
Second type of the commercial jubilee badge was also made by “Ideografika” company from Vladivostok.
Five cartridges loaded into the magazine of the M1891 Mosin-Nagant rifle and topped with the very first Soviet-designed steel helmet known as “SSh-36” (“СШ-36”) introduced in 1936 were the central element of the pin. Steel helmet facing right bore inscription running in two lines in capital letters: “Khasan 2013” (“Хасан 2013”). Inscription “75 Years” (“75 лет”) running in two lines was superimposed on the very centre of the pin. Lower part of the magazine showed the crucial date “6 VIII – 1938”.
Flat reverse of the pin bore three hallmarks: horizontal inscription “Ideografika Vladivostok” (“Идеографика Владивосток”); manufacturer's logo; “Ideografika.ru” inscription running in semi-circle around the screw.
Pin measuring 22x35 mm was die-stamped of brass and had oxidized surface covered with lacquer. It was attached to civilian attire with screw soldered to its reverse and nut.
As in case of the previous pin, totally 50 pieces were manufactured with five pins bearing “Specimen” (“Образец”) additional hallmark at the lower part of the reverse.