Dienstauszeichnungen M1847 were instituted in three classes on December 24, 1847 by Paul Friedrich August von Oldenburg (13.07.1783-27.02.1853), the Grand Duke of Oldenburg who reigned from May 28, 1829 until his demise. Those decorations replaced long service sleeve chevrons introduced previously for lower ranks.
In 1847-1867 Long Service Awards were awarded upon recommendations issued by commanding officers to NCOs and lower ranks on military active duty who have served 18, 12 and 9 years. After the Military Convention between Oldenburg and Prussia has been signed on July 15, 1867, Dienstauszeichnungen M1847 were no longer awarded to military personnel and were presented to personnel of Großherzoglich Oldenburgisches Gendarmeriekorps (former Großherzoglich Oldenburgisches Landdragonerkorps) only.
Dienstauszeichnungen were presented to servicemen in square paper packets.
According to statute of the decoration, only one Long Service Award could be worn, so holder of the badge had to replace his Dienstauszeichnung 3.Klasse with that of the 2nd class for twelve years of military service, and finally Award of the 2nd class with that of the highest class. Simultaneous wearing of two Long Service Awards was prohibited. The badge had to be returned to regimental headquarters after the demise of its holder. As for the award certificate, it was kept by the family of the deceased veteran.
Long Service Awards were manufactured by the Berlin-based company of Johann Georg Hossauer (05.10.1794-14.01.1874).
Long Service Award had a shape of a stiffened metal plate measuring 38x27 mm approximately covered with a silk woven ribbon. A horizontal rectangular clasp ca. 12,0-12,7x41,9-42,0 mm with a double border and pebbled surface was attached to an obverse. That clasp bore centered cipher of Paul Friedrich August von Oldenburg, “P.F.A.” flanked with small eight-point stars.
Some badges bore maker’s mark (i.e. that of Johann Georg Hossauer) on their reverses.
Depending on a class of the decoration, clasps were manufactured of gilt silver or gilt bronze (1st class), silver (2nd class), and blackened magnetic iron with silver polished border (3rd class).
A ribbon was made of crimson silk with wide vertical dark blue stripes close to its edges.
Long Service Award was worn on the left side of the tunic below medals and was attached to uniform with horizontal pin and catching hook soldered to reverse of horizontal clasp.
Dienstauszeichnungen weighed 7,5-13,4 g approximately depending on class of decoration and metal they were manufactured of.
Totally 263 Dienstauszeichnungen 1.Klasse were awarded (143 in 1847-1867 and 120 in 1867-1912), 400 badges of 2nd class (249 and 151 respectively), and 550 badges of 3rd class (379 and 171 respectively).
Dienstauszeichnungen M1847 were awarded to lower ranks and NCOs in 1847-1867, and to gendarmes in 1867-1912.