Decoration was instituted on December 01, 1897 by Count Ernst Kasimir Friedrich Karl Eberhard Graf zur Lippe-Biesterfeld (09.06.1842-26.09.1904), head of Lippe-Biesterfeld line of the House of Lippe to commemorate his appointment as a regent of the Principality of Lippe on June 22, 1897.
The reigning prince of Lippe, Günther Friedrich Woldemar Fürst zur Lippe (18.04.1824-20.03.1895), died childless on March 20, 1895, but his heir, younger brother Karl Alexander Fürst zur Lippe (16.01.1831-13.01.1905), was incapable of ruling on account of an incurable hereditary mental illness. So a regency had to be established. However, no one knew that Prince Woldemar had concluded a secret agreement with Adolf Wilhelm Viktor zu Schaumburg-Lippe (20.07.1859-09.07.1916) which stipulated that the latter should succeed him. After Prince Woldemar passed away, it was Adolf Wilhelm Viktor zu Schaumburg-Lippe who assumed regency, while the much more closely related Lippe-Biesterfeld line was passed over and protested. The state parliament also lodged a protest and caused the establishment of an arbitration tribunal. The decision of the arbitration court under King Albert of Saxony proclaimed Count Ernst zur Lippe-Biesterfeld as regent of the Principality of Lippe on June 22, 1897. Prince Adolf, brother-in-law to the German Emperor Wilhelm II, then resigned the regency and was replaced by Count Ernst. He remained as such until his death in Schloss Lopshorn on September 26, 1904. His son Leopold Julius Bernhard Adalbert Otto Karl Gustav (30.05.1871-30.12.1949) succeeded him as head of the Lippe-Biesterfeld line and regent, before becoming the reigning Prince of Lippe four months later on the death of Prince Alexander.
Erinnerungsdenkmünze an den Einzug des Graf-Regenten Ernst in Detmold 1897 was awarded to all those who contributed to the appointment of Count Ernst as a regent of Lippe either officially or through back channels. After demise of the holder decoration was kept by the closest relatives of the deceased as a token of remembrance and was not to be returned to local authorities.
Design of the medal was elaborated by the Dresden sculptor August Theodor Marquardt Schreitmüller (02.10.1871-15.10.1958).
Obverse of decoration with slightly raised border showed busts of the new regent and his spouse facing left: Countess Karoline Friederike Cäcilie Klothilde von Wartensleben (06.04.1844-10.07.1905) in the background and Count Ernst in the foreground. Portraits were circumscribed “Count Regent Ernst and Countess Karloine of Lippe-Biesterfeld” (“Ernst Graf-Regent u. Caroline Gräfin zur Lippe-Biesterfeld”) in capital letters. Small six-point star was minted at the bottom as a separation symbol.
Motto “God and My Right” (“Gott und Mein Recht”) in three horizontal lines in Gothic letters was placed in the middle of the reverse with raised border. Conjunction “and” (“und”) was executed in smaller size. Traditional pentapetalous rose of Lippe was placed below. The whole composition was circumscribed “In Memory of the Day of Our Arrival July 17 1897” (“Zur Erinnerung an den Tag Unseres Einzugs 17.Juli 1897”) in capital letters. Small six-point star was minted at the bottom as a separation symbol.
Circular medal measuring 33,35 mm in diameter, 2,45 mm in thickness and weighing 13,2 g was manufactured of bronze at the Dresden-based factory of Richard Diller (Richard Diller Münzanstalt Dresden). Totally 1,023 medals were awarded from November 1897 until May 1899.
Erinnerungsdenkmünze an den Einzug des Graf-Regenten Ernst in Detmold 1897 was worn suspended from the 28 mm wide red silk ribbon with two 4 mm wide silver vertical stripes at edges.
Decoration was presented in wine red leather-covered rectangular case measuring 58x94x22 mm with gold embossed pentapetalous rose of Lippe on its cover. White silk lining on top lid bore manufacturer’s name “R.Diller Münzanstalt Dresden” stamped in gold. Bottom lid had wine red velvet cut-out to hold the medal.
Medal was presented with award document.