Green Aiguillette with Westphalian Horse was introduced on March 21, 1919 by an Order Nr.Ia3205 of the Chief of Staff of the VII Army Corps (Generalkommando des VII.Armeekorps) as a distinctive badge of honor in the shape of a lanyard for military personnel from volunteer units the above mentioned formation comprised of. Since January 18, 1919 the latter was commanded by Generalleutnant Freiherr Oskar von Watter (02.09.2861-23.08.1939) with headquarters in Münster. For that simple reason all the volunteer units of the VII Army Corps were named “Freikorps Watter” for convenience.
Musicians’ Wings (Schwalbennester) were a traditional item of uniform decoration worn by German military musicians that also showed the wearer’s branch of service by the use of various colors. They represented a matching pair of detachable cloth semicircular patches with a slightly curved lower edge sewn or fixed by hooks on both upper arms of tunic. They were worn with all types of dress but not during the battle. The lower edge remained horizontal to the tunic. The width from tip to tip was
One of the illustrious multibranch veterans organizations that operated in Germany since the end of XIX century and is still active today was known as Union of German Naval Veterans Associations (Bund Deutscher Marine-Vereine, BDMV) in 1922-1935. Initially known as German Naval Union (Deutschen Marine-Bund, DMB) it was founded on June 27,
This article that doesn’t claim to be an all-embracing one but rather of the summarizing nature, deals with the general description of uniforms worn by German students, or Burschen, who constituted a special elitist caste of German youth up to the mid-1930s. Striking resemblance of certain features of students outerwear to the military uniform is the major cause of common confusion in correct identification of photos by the beginning collectors who jump to false conclusions and label Burschen as members of obscure paramilitary organizations or even cavalrymen, mostly “hussars”.
Numerous but advantageously unsuccessful efforts of the early postwar German government to break off forcibly strong links with the Imperial legacy of the past resulted in imposing ban on wearing shoulder boards by officers, typical collar and cuff braid by NCOs, Imperial cockades by military personnel. Nevertheless the higher powers hadn’t infringed on the right of former frontline fighters to wear their combat awards and other decorations earned during military careers.
Before getting down to immediate description of ranks and insignia let’s adduce a brief introduction and provide a clarification remark of no small importance. The Law on Formation of the Provisional Reichswehr (Gesetz über die Bildung einer vorläufige Reichswehr) was enacted on March 06, 1919 and entered into force on Match 12, 1919. Although initially its effect was limited until March 31, 1920, it was extended for some reasons until March 23, 1921.
This badge was a distinctive insignia of one of the most famous Bavarian volunteer corps – Bayerischen Schützenkorps, widely known as Freikorps von Epp named after its commander, Franz Xaver Ritter von Epp (16.10.1868 – 31.12.1946) who formed it on February 08,
The new German government agreed to withdraw its troops from the occupied territories according to the Armistice at Compiègne signed on November 11, 1918. The withdrawal from the Western front began next day, on November 12 and by January 17, 1919 all the areas left of the Rhine were clear of the German military personnel. The next herculean task was to demobilize nearly two millions of soldiers and 100,000 officers who were returning home.
Decoration of steel helmets worn by military personnel of the Weimar-era army units with territorial shields dates back to the time of troubles experienced by the post-war Germany. Shortly after the end of the Great War numerous Freikorps units raised from patriotic soldiers and officers painted various emblems, e.g. coat of arms, shields, skulls, etc. for identification purposes on the side or the front of their steel helmets.
Marksmanship awards in form of sleeve stripes were instituted on December 22, 1920 and starting from that date traditional Imperial lanyards were banned for wearing. Nevertheless that order wasn’t followed immediately in the post-war chaos and some officers continued to wear their lanyards obtained during their military service in the old army.