Hohenzollernsche Denkmünze für 1848-1849
Hohenzollern Commemorative Medal for 1848-1849 Campaign
Hohenzollern Commemorative Medal for 1848-1849 Campaign was instituted on August 23, 1851 by the King of Prussia Friedrich Wilhelm IV (15.10.1795-02.01.1861), at the same date Königliche Hausorden von Hohenzollern was established. The medal was issued to participants of suppression of the Revolutions of 1848 in the German states, a.k.a. the March revolution (Märzrevolution). Those with at least fourteen days of anti-revolutionary battles or faithful service during rebellions in Prussia and other German states, i.e. Grand Duchy of Baden and Kingdom of Saxony, from the end of March 1848 until the beginning of October 1849 were eligible for decoration. Thus, it were Prussian troops that turned the scale and played crucial role by overturning unique but short-lived Baden republic, the only German republic that appeared in 1849 as a result of revolutionary events.
In addition, Hohenzollernsche Denkmünze für 1848-1849 was also awarded to Prussian troops for battles in Denmark in 1849 during the First Schleswig War, or Schleswig-Holsteinischer Krieg.
Hohenzollern Commemorative Medal for 1848-1849 Campaign for Combatants (Hohenzollernsche Denkmünze für Kämpfer für 1848-1849) was issued to war veterans, officers, NCOs and other ranks.
An obverse of the medal showed an image of the Königliche Hausorden von Hohenzollern. The latter had a shape of an equilateral cross with rounded edges and a circular central medallion that bore an image of a Prussian eagle with fluffed out wings and shield on its chest gripping sceptre and orb. Inner inscription of a medallion in a wide ring bore a motto of the Order, “From the hills to the sea” (“Vom Fels zum Meer”) executed in capital letters, and two laurel branches at its bottom. The cross itself was superimposed on a round wreath made of laurel branches at the left and oak branches at the right.
A reverse carried the name of the Prussian king in capital letters in two lines, “Friedrich Wilhelm IV” together with a thick border above and below with two dates: “1848” on top and “1849” underneath. Wide outer ring near the edge had the inscription “To his warriors loyal to the bitter end” (“Seinen bis in den Tod getreuen Kriegern”) and a miniature cross at the top.
Hohenzollern Commemorative Medal for 1848-1849 Campaign for non-combatants (Hohenzollernsche Denkmünze für Nichtkämpfer für 1848-1849) was awarded to military officials, medical staff, clergymen and other subjects falling within that category who carried out their duties faithfully during suppression of rebellions. That version of a commemorative medal differed from the “combat” one described above in reverse only. Thus, Hohenzollernsche Denkmünze für Nichtkämpfer had no inscription on the outer ring near the edge that was left totally blank.
Hohenzollern Commemorative Medal for 1848-1849 Campaign was manufactured at the Berlin Royal Mint, thus obtaining distinctive suspender ring, so-called “ribbed eyelet”, through which the ribbon ring was mounted. Circular medal had a diameter of 29 mm, weighed 14,7 g approximately and was made from the gilt bronze.
Ribbons for both variants of Hohenzollernsche Denkmünze für 1848-1849 were made of 35 mm wide white silk with two wide black stripes at its edges and additional central thin black stripe.