Articles

 

Abzeichen für Fliegerschützen

Air Gunner’s Badge

The Prussian Air Gunner’s Badge was instituted on January 27, 1918 by the King of Prussia and the Emperor of the German Empire Wilhelm II in conjunction with his birthday, shortly before the end of the Great War. Official announcement was published in the Army Regulations (Armee-Verordnungsblatt) No.120 issued on February 02, 1918.

The badge was awarded to officers, NCOs and enlisted men who demonstrated practical skills in operating machine guns on the ground and in the aerial combat. Aspirants were expected to have profound knowledge of aircraft engines and their operation; understanding of theory of flight, aerial navigation, tactics and combat, charts reading and bombing.

The Prussian Air Gunner’s Badge had a shape of a vertical oval with an outside perimeter surrounded by a wide wreath. Its left side had laurel leaves symbolizing victory and its right side had oak leaves standing for strength and hardiness. Both were joined together with a ribbon bow at the bottom thus signifying combination of those two qualities. Imperial crown topped the badge. The centre of the badge carried an image of an eagle with raised wings perching on a machine gun cross-hair against a background of divergent stylized sun rays. Depending on a manufacturer, badges differed in background design (sun rays were absent on some pieces), minor details (beak and wings shape) as well as in size and measured 71-74х45-48 mm.

Issued badges were most often stamped of silver Buntmetall, while privately purchased hollow two-piece or single massive badges of superior quality were made of silver. Slightly smaller and highly popular at the beginning of the XXth century “Prinzengröße” (47-49х30-31 mm) versions of the badge and miniatures were produced as well.     

The Prussian Air Gunner’s Badge was worn on or below the left breast pocket lower than the Prussian Iron Cross 1st Class and was attached to a tunic with a vertical pin soldered to its reverse.

Contradictory to the common Weimar-era sentiments, Abzeichen für Fliegerschützen in its original design, i.e. with the outlawed Imperial crown was awarded even after the Great War, thus allowing former air gunners to obtain just reward and collect their long desired decoration. According to the Army Regulations (Armee-Verordnungsblatt) No.70 of August 14, 1919 that supplemented previous statutes of all the three active flyer badges, former flight personnel, including air gunners were authorized to continue to wear those awards as a sign of the extraordinary meritorious service they rendered to their Homeland during the Great War. Army Regulations of December 30, 1920 stipulated that the Prussian Air Gunner’s Badge would be issued up to January 31, 1921 upon presentation of a documented proof. The badges were produced by the original manufacturers until the end of the WWII and were available for private purchase by former aviators.

The exact number of issued Militär-Flugzeugführer-Abzeichen remains unknown as the actual records containing that data for 1914 through 1921 were destroyed by bombing raids on Potsdam in 1945. 

Air Gunner Badge 1