Instituted on September 22, 1866 by the Grand Duke of Oldenburg Peter II (Nikolaus Friedrich Peter von Oldenburg, 08.07.1827 – 13.06.1900) to commemorate Prussian victory in the Austro-Prussian War (June 17 – July 26, 1866) during which Oldenburg allied with Prussia. 1866 Military Campaign Medal was awarded to officers, NCOs and other ranks as well as to military officials.
An obverse shows a bust of Peter II facing left and circumscribed “Nikolaus Friedrich Peter, Grand Duke of Oldenburg” (“Nicol.[aus] Friedr.[ich] Peter Grossherzog v.[on] Oldenburg”) in capital letters. An inscription is separated by a small five pointed star at the bottom.
Officially manufactured medals had an initial of a name and a surname of designer – “R.Kölbel”, standing for Rudolph Kölbel (1826-1910) – also executed in capital letters and situated at the bottom of the bust. Private issues had a capital letter “D” instead.
A reverse has just a date “
1866 Military Campaign Medal was
Totally 3,685 medals were issued officially, the rest were purchased by veterans at their own expenses.