Instituted on September 13, 1917 by the Duke of Brunswick Ernest Augustus (Ernst August von Hannover (III), Herzog von Braunschweig, 17.11.1887 – 30.01.1953) in one class only. It was awarded to female subjects for special merits in nursing wounded military personnel, packing of parcels to acting army, gatherings and other charitable assistance and philanthropic work.
Award has a form of an equilateral cross with slightly widening arms and concave ends. A cross is superimposed on a
Obverse of a cross bears a horizontal inscription in Gothic letters running in four lines “For Devoted Service in the War” (“Für” – on upper arm, “aufopfernde Dienste” – in the middle, “im” and “Kriege” – on lower arm).
Visible segments of a circle between arms of the cross bear ciphers of the Duke Ernst August – interwined letters “EA” on the upper left and lower right parts and that of the Duchess Viktoria Luise – letters “VL” on the upper right and lower left parts. Each cipher is topped by a Ducal crown extending beyond the rim of a circle.
Design of the reverse is the same except for the central inscription on the cross that bears a date the Great War had begun – “
War Merit Cross for Women and Maidens was made of gilt bronze.
It was worn on a bow of a
Cross was presented in a square beige envelope bearing a shortened name of an award running in four lines on an obverse – “Herzoglich Braunschweigisches Kriegsverdienstkreuz für Frauen”, and name of a manufacturer on its reverse – “Herm. Jürgens Hofjuwelier Braunschweig”.