Commemorative medal was instituted on May 08, 1891 by the regent of Duchy of Brunswick Prince Albrecht of Prussia (Friedrich Wilhelm Nikolaus Albrecht von Preußen, 08.05.1837 – 13.09.1906) who was elected as a regent of Brunswick on October 21, 1885.
The medal was awarded to all few veterans of the First Schleswig War (Danish-Prussian War or Schleswig-Holsteinischer Krieg) being still alive. Officers, NCOs, other ranks, military officials and military doctors who participated in war on Prussian side were eligible for this decoration. Due to objective circumstances only 426 veterans were decorated though 3,000 Brunswick subjects took part in the war. The rest already passed away.
Round medal was
Obverse has a crowned cipher “W” of the late Brunswick duke Wilhelm (Wilhelm August Ludwig Maximilian Friedrich, 25.04.1806 – 18.10.1884) encircled by a laurel wreath made of two leaves and tied with a ribbon at the bottom. The designer’s initials “C.F.” can be found just above the crown.
Reverse has a horizontal inscription in capital letters “Schleswig-Holstein” and “1848-
Ribbon is bright yellow with two wide light blue stripes closer to the edges.